Thai Style Mussels and Clams
Using a saucepan or a dutch oven on the Big Green Egg is an excellent way of adding a little smoke and theatre to dishes you’d normally only cook on a hob. I’ve cooked this Thai Style Mussels dish several times at Big Green Egg demos and it goes down extremely well with people willing to give selfish a go. Having said that I’m amazed at how many people just won’t even try mussels.
For this recipe I also used some beautiful New Zealand clams because I could, this is great with just mussels though.
- 1Kg de-bearded Mussels
- 500g clams
- 2 banana shallots finely chopped
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 stick of lemongrass finely chopped
- 1 red chilli (add more if you want it really fiery)
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 5 -6 leaves of Thai basil
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- 1 lime
- Setup your Egg to cook at 180°C in a direct configuration with the stainless grid.
- Preheat your Dutch Oven or pan with the groundnut oil.
- Throw in the shallot, garlic, chilli, ginger and lemongrass and sauté for about 5 mins until the shallot is tender.
- Add you mussels, clams, palm sugar and half of your coconut milk. Cook for about 3-4 mins until the mussels and clams have opened.
- Now add the fish sauce and squeeze in the juice of a lime.
- Add the thai basil and coriander and stir through, taking off the Egg.
- Serve with some crusty bread.
Give this a go, it’s a cracking dish and so easy to make.