Big Green Egg Group Cooking Classes
Our 2024 masterclasses have launched. Last year we sold out in just under two weeks, so don’t hesitate making your booking.
The popularity of the classes always amazes us. We could run double the amount of classes we do, but we’d be worn out and we think the quality of the classes would suffer.
We’ll be running the following classes:
- Class 1 – The class for people who’ve not been to us before. This class covers the techniques needed to use your Big Green Egg, while keeping the recipes at a level where you can go home and cook them all. Our classes are hands on, you’ll be doing the cooking, not just standing watching someone else demo to you.
- Class 2 – Classes for those that have already done our class 1. These are all about different recipes, and spending the day with like-minded people. So many people want to come back and spend the day with us, this is one of your options. We tend to suggest a menu for this class but then ask the participants if they would like to change anything.
- Speciality classes – We ran two curry classes in 2023. We’ll be bringing you some Thai classes and will probably run some more curry classes ourselves.
Big Green Egg Group Masterclass
We’re back for 2024 with the massively popular class for those who want to get more from their Big Green Egg, or just want to start right from scratch.
Our masterclasses are hands-on, not demonstrations, with an Egg shared between 2 people. The course content has been tried and tested over several years of private class delivery and group classes.
Classes start at 10 am with tea, coffee and breakfast. Lunch is included, you’ll be cooking it! We offer complimentary drinks throughout the day. We’ll aim to finish up around 5:30 pm but may sometimes go beyond this with the last cook.
Helena and I would love to welcome you
Class 1 – Big Green Egg Techniques
Our original class launched in 2019. It is designed to take you through several different cooking techniques while keeping the recipes simple so you can repeat them at home.
- Searing – using the cast iron grid and another technique to cook various steaks
- Roasting – using an indirect setup to roast chickens and a joint of beef.
- Plancha cooking – cooking directly on a ceramic plancha
- Baking – making and baking a focaccia and smoking a chocolate brownie
- Pan cooking – Apple/Peach/Pear tarte tatin
While we won’t have time to do a low and slow cook, we’ll discuss the technique thoroughly, and advice will be given on rubs, brining, cooking time, resting and thermometers to use to monitor these much longer cooks.
We’ll cover loading, lighting and cleaning your Egg as well as temperature control that will allow you to cook on your Egg confidently.
Follow on Techniques – Class 2
These classes can be tailored but we start by suggesting the following:
- Breakfast of homemade bacon and cheese turnovers, you’ll make these.
- Low and slow – ribs and your own BBQ sauce creation.
- Lunch from Spain – Paella, fideua, and tortilla.
- Snacks from the grill.
- Finish with a couple of curries, naans, onion bhajis.
In 2023 we ran a curry class with Richard Sayce (Misty Ricardo). The class was very popular and so we’re going to run them again, this time ourselves.
We’ll be cooking:
- Breakfast of parsi omelette and masala toast.
- Onion Bhajis, popadums, and samosas
- Chicken tikka preparation
- Naan breads
- 3 curries
World Street Food and Small Plates with Nick from KAB.
In 2022 Nick joined us and ran two Thai classes and a Thai pop-up. He’s returning to run 4 classes but with a wider selection of dishes from around the world.
We’re still in the planning stage for this class, but you can be assured it will be a cracker.
Places on these classes will be limited to 8 people per class.
The dates of the class will be 19th and 20th July, and 2nd and 3rd August 2024.
The class will be run using three Large Big Green Eggs for course attendees. There are also several other Eggs including a MiniMax, Extra Large and a Mini that can be used if needed.
A large Big Green Egg will be shared between two attendees.
Each Egg is equipped with:
- ConvEGGtor (Plate Setter), cast iron griddle and grid lifter and a baking stone
- EGGspander system with half moon ceramic plates, half moon cast iron griddles
- Daisy wheel and rEGGulator temperature controllers
- Pans including cast iron skillets
- Big Green Egg wok
- Thermapen Professional to ensure each cook is perfect
- Meater+ Bluetooth thermometer
- Knives and chopping boards
We’ll be cooking over Big Green Egg lump wood charcoal and using Grilling Wood chunks if needed.
Other equipment you may like to look at and perhaps use:
- Meater+ Bluetooth cooking thermometer, and Meater Block wifi thermometer
- EGG Genius forced air controller
- LetzQ Spit Rotisserie
Classes cost £250 per person and include a full day of cooking. The course fee includes a full lunch with drinks throughout the day.
Meat Smoke Fire
26 Water Lane
Tel: 07446 960303
Submit your review
I attended a Class 1 event a couple of weeks ago. I found it to be an excellent experience. It was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot. I am a relatively BGE novice and found out where I was going wrong in my somewhat disastrous cooks. Nic is a great teacher. Between him and Helena they made the day a memorable one. I will definitely be booking a Class 2 course.
I attended the class 1 cookery school a few days ago after watching many of Nic’s live cooks and ordering many items via his website. I found the cookery school extremely relaxed, very well organised and very informative. The whole day went so quickly. I will definitely be attending a second level class next year. Ordering stuff is such a breeze, I am kept informed throughout the process. And unless the items are in stock they won’t take your money. Such honesty these days is rare. I will be ordering all my egg requirements from Nic and have recommended him and his wife Helena to all my BBQ friends. I have also found that you can drop them an email or message for some advise on a cook and either Helena or Nic reply incredibly quickly.
My son and I have just come back from one of Nic’s courses. To say it was great is an understatement……we cooked some wonderful food including making a paella, baking scones, knocking up some bacon, tomato and cheese pastries and the best pork ribs you could wish for.
Nic and Helena are brilliant hosts and nothing is too much trouble for them. We have now been on the starter course and then this one and we are trying to get Nic to come up with a third one just so we can go over to Cambridge and have another belting weekend.
If you are wondering whether to sign up then press that button, you will not be disappointed.
Terms and Conditions
- We reserve the right to cancel a class where there are 2 or less people booked. In this instance, participants will be given at least a week’s notice. They will be offered the chance to swap to another class, if available, or take a full refund.
- Customers may swap to another class up to 3 weeks before the class is due to take place, subject to availability and a £20 admin fee.
- Classes cancelled by the customer are subject to a £50 cancellation fee up to 3 weeks before the class is due to take place, after this time, full payment is non-refundable. Participants may send a substitute in their place to attend the course.
- In the event that Meat Smoke Fire Ltd. has to cancel a course, we will endeavour to notify you as soon as possible and a future date will be offered. Alternatively, you will be entitled to a full refund with no admin fee. Meat Smoke Fire Ltd will not be responsible for any additional costs incurred by you as a result.
- Classes are only for participants aged 16 or older. Participants aged 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult participant for the duration of the class.
- We are unable to tailor courses to special dietary requirements. If you have food allergies, it is your responsibility to make us aware.
- Participants are required to wear flat, closed-sole footwear for the class.
- Classes will take place regardless of weather conditions. Please dress suitably.
- Meat Smoke Fire Ltd. will not be responsible for, or have any liability to you for, accidental damage or injury resulting from the actions or omissions of anyone attending the course.